Students are more enthusiastic about online and hybrid learning options than fully face-to-face instruction, a new survey from education research and consulting firm Tyton Partners suggests.
The Time for Class 2023 survey, published Tuesday, found that 31% of students prefer face-to-face instruction over other modes of instruction, but the remaining 69% prefer fully online, hybrid, or blended learning options.
Students were more enthusiastic about online or hybrid instruction than their instructors, the survey found, with 55% of instructors expressing a preference for in-person classes.
Though students expressed a preference for online or hybrid instruction over in-person learning, the survey highlights that many students still face persistent technology and internet access issues, with 22% of students reporting inconsistent access to computers and 40% saying they lack stable internet access.
The survey included responses from 2,048 students, 1,748 instructors and 306 administrators collected in this past spring.